I’m
back! Wow…4 weeks already?! I think time
flies faster when you have two little ones underfoot.
So where to
start? I guess with the birth right. Lol
Aiden decided to be fashionably late
which was torture because you expect babies to arrive on their due date. Every day after wass filled with anxiety. You don’t want to stray too far from home.
You don’t want your water to break at the grocery store. You spend you days answering texts about
whether you “feel” anything. Your family
is on stand-by…and your 3 year old stops believing there is actually a baby in
there. FINALLY on Friday Jun 19th,
I started to feel mild contractions. I
notified the troops and it was decided that my Mom and Sister would come that
afternoon to arrange care for Bryce. I
called Labour & Delivery who suggested I come in to be assessed. I think I was only about 2 cm’s and my
contractions were only about 5 mins apart. They suggested I walk around and
be reassessed later….which I did. After 2
hours and no progress, I decided to go home.
All was not lost because we had a pizza and PJ party and a restful
sleep. I did begin to feel contractions
again in the wee hours of Saturday morning.
I went out for a walk around the block to try to get things going, and
eventually went back to the hospital to be assessed again. Still only at 3cm’s and was told to do some
more walking. At this point I was
feeling pretty defeated…obviously forgetting that Dr. Daisy said my LEEP procedure
would probably prolong the dilation stage. I didn’t want to go home again because
I figured I wouldn’t make it back. I thought
I would wait too long for fear of being turned away again, that I would end up
delivering at home. So more walking for
me. Aiden’s Dad joined me for company
and we ended up down in Little Italy as the Ferrari Festival was on. There I was, doubled over and contracting
every few mins, surrounded by a million dollars in cars. Surprisingly, no one
offered me a ride. Well by 4pm, I had finally dilated to 4 cm’s and was
considered to be in “active” labour, therefore was admitted. A short time later, my Mom joined me and the
fun started.
This time, as with last, I
opted for a drug free delivery. But I
tried something new, and laboured standing up and sitting on an exercise
ball. I think it actually made the
contractions a little less painful although they were still excruciating. There were time I leaned over the bed and
just whimpered in the pillow. But
comparing those contractions to the ones I had while in bed being examined, I’d
say a little better because I could move/sway/rock with them. Dr. Daisy
examined me at one point and said that Aiden was not in an optimum delivery
position. Not face up like Bryce, but
sort of sideways. I was gearing myself
up for another long pushing stage. She
also broke my water to gets things moving and said she thought there might be a
little meconium present. Therefore a couple
extra people were put on standby and the pediatrician was called.
By about 8 pm, (4 hours into labour) Dr. Daisy came to assess me again. She said I was at about 8cm. I wanted to cry because I knew that I still
had to “transition” to 10cm which is the most painful stage. It’s at that point that the contraction
intensify and are stacked on top of each other.
Well about 10 mins later, my body took over and started to push with
each contraction. I was NOT in control
of the show anymore. (I also felt him
turn with another huge gush of amniotic fluid.
Getting into proper position I guess.) They called Dr. Daisy back and barely got me into
the bed. I was checked and apparently “he
was right there”. About 3-4 contractions
later, or about 15 mins…out he came.
Born at 8:25pm and weighing 10lbs 13oz.
It was funny because his birth was SO much easier than Bryce. With Bryce, I kinda had to force the pushing with
each contraction but with Aiden, he was in charge. I remember the nurses trying to coach me and
say “o.k.,,,head to chest…here comes a contraction…ok, you’re already pushing”
lol. I was definitely just along for the
ride. Surprisingly not very painful for
an almost 11 pounder! Mom said she was a
little worried because Dr. Daisy was pulling pretty hard to get the shoulders
out, but still a much easier delivery in the end. AND he came out crying and pinked up right
away. His initial APGAR was 9…and no one
ever really gets a 10! Because of the
meconium though, they did cut the cord and whisk him away for a short time but
returned him quickly so we could have skin to skin time and nurse. He latched on right away, and I would soon
discover that it was his favourite place to be.
;)
So I got
myself a cuddler! Aiden will NOT sleep
(at least not for very long) without being in someones arms. Thank God for the sling. The moment you place him down…even if you
thought he was sound asleep…he’ll wake and give you a stink eye. Even at night, he’ll only cat nap unless he’s
allowed to “co-sleep” which frightens me to death. Not only because Bryce is ALSO now in my bed
(a whole separate issue) , but it’s too soft and too high to be a safe sleeping
spot for a little one. SO, most times I
sneak down the hall to sleep with Aiden on stripped down mattress on the floor
in the nursery. That way he sleeps
longer, and when he does wake, is happy to nurse laying down. Inevitably though, the dog usually finds and joins us…then
Bryce a short time later. It really is
comical the way we all play "musical beds" ever night!!
I’ll try not
to spend most of my time on Aiden’s blog comparing him to Bryce but take a look
at the photos. I think I better label
their baby photos well so as not to mix them up!! (Bryce on left, Aiden on right)
I think I’ll
leave it here for now even though I could probably go on forever! See you back here in a month!!
No comments:
Post a Comment