Monday, 28 December 2015

Month 6



6 months?  Well 6+ months now!!  :s  But I have an excuse….moving, Bryce’s birthday, and Christmas!!!  I must say that this has probably been the most stressful 2 months of my life (Well…Paramedic school was pretty stressful too) but I’m so happy to finally be settled (settling) into our new house.  I would NOT recommend moving with a 4 year old and an infant…unless you can ship them off somewhere until the whole process is over.  Trying to maintain a perfect house for showing, plus packing, trips back and forth to the lawyers, and the builder, then unpacking…was/is exhausting.  Thank God for my amazing family who were there for me every step of the way.  Unfortunately, unpacking is going VERY slowly and I’m also trying to fit 2100 sq ft of stuff into a 1500 sq ft bungalow.  Somewhere along the way, I had lost the screws to Aiden’s crib…so he bunked in with me.  Which is nothing new since he’s shared my bed since day one.  However, I found them in a box of toys, re-assembled Aiden’s crib, and he actually slept in it for the first time last night.  No longer just a big brown nursery decoration. 

I’ve been thinking about discontinuing breastfeeding.  I know, I know!  All this time I was so Gung Ho to nurse, taking supplements, eating horrible lactation cookies etc and now I want to throw in the towel?!  Well the reason is only kind of selfish as I’ll outline below, but he also sprouted 2 new teeth. (Dec 18th ish)  And while I’m sure he doesn’t mean to, he does from time to time…BITE!  The other reason is one I’ve discussed previously and it’s in regards to weight gain/inability to lose weight.  Let me preface this by saying I haven’t exactly been doing very much in the exercise category (Well, except for packing up a house and single handidly moving all my furniture into a storage pod lol) and haven’t been making great food choices these last few months….but there is a correlation between breast feeding and fat storage.  An article I read recently compared breastfeeding to Menopause.  Simply put –->high prolactin from breastfeeding=low estrogen and low progesterone.  Estrogen is required to keep a lean body.  Without it, we have a less forgiving metabolism largely due to lack of temperance of insulin and cortisol.  Additionally, progesterone plays a role in hindering belly fat storage (my problem!!) by moderating cortisols effect in these fat cells.  Low estrogen/progesterone also causes much more sensitivity to carbohydrates, much harder time dropping belly fat – and fat in general.  Couple that with lack of sleep and stress=high cortisol state.  (Ingredient #1 for belly fat)  Exhaustion creates cravings for carbs and sweets. (Ingredient #2 for belly fat)  A perfect storm!!  And if that wasn’t bad enough, Estrogen regulates our brain chemicals to help keep cravings at bay as well as regulating appetite.  All this to say I need to stop lactating to raise my Estrogen and get out of “menopause”.  Argh! (And also get my fat bum onto the treadmill)  lol

 
Aiden has really changed this month. You can tell that he wants to get moving so that he can participate in the constant game of chase between Bryce and the dog.  He is also mastering the art of rolling over and has recently been getting his knees under him in preparation for crawling.  There have been a couple of occasions where he has managed to roll himself right off the area rug…so now he spends time in baby jail (play pen) if I step out of the room for a minute.  We’re also working on sitting though he is still very wobbly.  Mother Nature places these gigantic heads on tiny torso’s and doesn’t take Gravity into consideration.  Thank goodness for soft carpet!

I feel like with the move, the Holidays, and trying to get our new house in order…that time is passing more quickly than I would like…and that perhaps I’m not appreciating all the little moments the way I should be.  All that to say…I’m really looking forward to a relaxing, slower paced new year.


No comments:

Post a Comment