| Baby June Bug - 12 weeks |
I know it's much too early to be thinking of labour again. But I was doing a little reading on Pitocin and its effects on contractions. When it was offered to me, I wasn't told of the risks to baby nor did I give it much thought. I believed it was a safe synthetic contraction hormone that would just help to speed things up. But I had no indications for its use. My labour was not stalled, I was not overdue, nor was baby in distress. I remember now that the nurse said, "We will give it to you to speed you along so you don't get lost in the shuffle or forgotten about "?! Well that's certainly not the indication to receive this powerful synthetic hormone. According to research, Pitocin-induced contractions will be longer, more forceful (MORE PAINFUL) and much closer together than a woman’s natural contractions. This can cause significant stress to the baby, because there’s not enough time to recover from the reduced blood flow that happens when the placenta is compressed with each contraction. The net effect of this is to deprive the baby of necessary supplies of blood and oxygen, which can in turn lead to abnormal fetal heart rate patterns and fetal distress. "The situation is analogous to holding an infant under the surface of the water, allowing the infant to come to the surface to gasp for air, but not to breathe." Additionally the research found that the hormonal disruption may also explain the reduced rate of breastfeeding following labor that was induced with Pitocin. (I know I sure had a hard time with breastfeeding) So the point is, I think I may ask to delay the Pitocin unless my "NATURAL" labour stalls or baby becomes stressed. :)
What's happening with baby this week? "The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder. Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce."
Mommy is still feeling nauseous..much worse in the later afternoon-evening. I pray that I am not one of those women who are afflicted throughout their ENTIRE pregnancy!! Ugh :s
Bring on the 2nd Trimester!!
No comments:
Post a Comment