Monday, 1 December 2014

Week 11

I was reading a very interesting article this week.  It was a study involving 5000+ pregnant women and was trying to correlate the gender of the fetus based on which side their placenta was attached.  The data was collected through ultrasounds, and the gender confirmed at birth.  The results were incredible! In 97.2% cases where the placenta was attached on the right, the baby was a boy. And in 97.5% of the cases where the placenta was attached on the left, the baby was a girl.  Amazing right?  I'm pretty sure my placenta is on the left because that's where I can hear it.  So if this method (called the Ramzi method) is correct, we're having a girl! 

My new Obs-Gyn is so nice!  What a difference from the last in terms of bed side manner!  I met her while pregnant with Bryce.  I was at the hospital for a stress test and she was finishing up a specialty in OB's.  (Already a GP at the time)  I met her again after Bryce was born. She came into my room and had a little visit.  After that she became my family Doc...and shortly thereafter...my Obs-Gyn.  She always has time for questions, and I never feel rushed.  She's very thorough, explains everything, and offers advice.  In fact her clinical practice is geared towards Mothers and Newborn health. Very happy I found her. Oh - and the amazing thing is, she or her partner (Dr. Millar-who I'll meet throughout my care) are on call to deliver all their patients babies.  No more Doctor du Jour when you arrive in labour.  http://www.millarmoores.ca/new-patients/dr-daisy-moores/




What's happening with baby this week?  "Slightly more than two inches long now and weighing about a third of an ounce, your fetus is growing by leaps and bounds when you are 11 weeks pregnant. And so is his or her head, which is equal in length to the rest of the body (don't worry — all fetuses are top-heavy). On the crown of that large head (and over the rest of the body), hair follicles are forming. Fingernail and toenail beds begin to develop this week and by next week, the nails themselves will start to grow (so don't forget to add a baby nail clipper to your to-buy list).Your baby's body is straightening and his or her torso is lengthening (sounds like a yoga pose, doesn't it?). Other poses your baby can assume now: stretches, somersaults, and forward rolls. And while you can't tell this baby's gender by its cover yet, testes are developing if it's a boy and ovaries if it's a girl. 


I have my 12 week ultrasound on Monday Dec. 1st, so stay tuned for my next post.  Hopefully I'll have a great little pic of Baby June Bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment