Sunday, 21 December 2014

Week 14




Welcome to the 2nd trimester, the land of energy and absence of nausea.  Dare I say I actually feel a little bit better for fear of jinxing myself?  Hope this trend continues. :)

June Bug
Bryce
On a baby community board, I learned of a new “method” of early fetal gender determination.  It’s called the “Skull Theory”.  Of course there is no real scientific basis for this method but it’s fun to try to predict while I wait these long 4 weeks until the anatomy scan.  (Which is scheduled for January 19th) Apparently the skulls of little boys will look more squarish with a caveman brow.  Whereas little girls have a more semi-circular, rounded forehead/skull.  Take a look at the ultrasound pic?  What do you think?  You know what's funny when I look at these pictures side by side?  My uterus is already much more "relaxed" around June Bug than it was around Bryce.  Poor little B was squished.  Guess it's true that it never really ever shrinks back to the size it was pre-pregnancy.



When I was at my OB appointment earlier this month, I questioned whether a recent LEEP procedure would affect my pregnancy at all.  (LEEP is a medical procedure that removes pre-cancerous cells from the cervix)  She said that I should be O.K., but it does increase the possibility of having an “incompetent cervix” meaning I may not be able to carry to term  The reason being is that the LEEP procedure shortens the cervix.  Dr. Moores said she will consider adding in more exams/Ultrasounds to monitor for any changes.   Additionally, she told me that because of the scar tissue left behind, I may have MORE difficulty dilating , with a prolonged  labour.  Oh Joy!  Not exactly what I wanted to hear.  :(


So begins June Bug’s birthright as a “hand me down kid.”  (Sorry kiddo)  I actually managed to find all the required screws to reassemble Bryce’s old crib, and re-built it today.  Glad now that I kept it as that just saved me a couple hundred bucks.  Money well spent elsewhere.  Also glad I kept Bryce’s stroller which I disassembled this weekend to wash.  (Despite the fact that the cover is apparently NOT machine washable as stated in the manual.  You are supposed to “spot” clean it.)  UNFORTUNATELY I did sell the matching (and stroller compatible) car seat so had to buy another. FORTUNATELY, I found one in pristine condition on Kijiji (where I sold mine) and purchased for $70 less than new.  It also came with a bug cover and winter cover which would easily cost another $100 to buy separately.

What's going on with baby this week? "This week's big developments: Your baby can now squint, frown, grimace, pee, and possible suck his thumb!  Thanks to brain impulses, his facial muscles are getting a workout as his tiny features form one expression after another.  His kidneys are producing urine, which he releases into the amniotic fluid around him - a process he'll keep up until birth.  He can grasp too, and if you're having an ultrasound now, you may even catch him sucking his thumb.  In other news: Your baby's stretching out.  From head to bottom, he measures 3 1/2 inches - about the size of a lemon - and he weighs 1 1/2 ounces.  His body's growing faster than his head, which now sits upon a more distinct neck.  By the end of this week, his arms will have grown to a length that's in proportion to the res of his body.  (His legs still have some lengthening to do.)  You baby's liver starts making vile this week - a sign that it's doing its job right - and his spleen starts helping in the production of red blood cells.

Only 176 days to go!! 





 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment