Oh hello Heartburn, I didn’t think I’d have the pleasure to make your acquaintance while pregnant. Lol Turns out something as benign as a chocolate chip cookie, CAN cause the most uncomfortable burning sensation in the upper chest. Perhaps punishment for eating the cookie in the first place?! Looks like those pesky pregnancy hormones relax the esophageal sphincter, letting stomach acid bubble up where it shouldn’t be. That, and the increasing pressure on the stomach as baby expands his home!! Argh. There is an old wives tale about the correlation between heartburn and hair. Maybe Aiden won’t be born a “cue ball” like Bryce?!
My monthly
appointment went well. Usually a quick
visit as I’m not very chatty. Dr. Daisy measured my “fundal height” (distance
between pubic bone and top of uterus) and I was measuring on target for 26
weeks. Which floors me because I feel
huge!!! She also pulled out the Doppler,
which isn’t nearly as thrilling since I have my own! Heart rate was strong at 140. AND the scale
is still creeping up. I haven’t been making the best food choices the past
couple of weeks and I’m sure it was reflected on the scale. I avoided eye
contact with the nurse who weighed me, and didn’t even ask for the number! :s That being said, Dr. Daisy didn’t mention it
so I must be “O.K.”! Maybe this newly
acquired heartburn will assist in better food choice?!
I also inquired about how “progressive” the Civic Hospital is in terms of labour/birthing positions. She said she finds the Civic more geared towards natural labour and birth in comparison to the QCH. (Where I delivered my first) She said the Civic has birthing balls, stools, and a squat bar. Dr. Daisy said she’ll facilitate my delivery in any position I feel comfortable in…but she refuses to put on a swimsuit and jump in a pool! lol
Speaking of
monthly appointment, Dr. Daisy informed me of a new “Mommy & Baby” clinic
affiliated with her medical practice that has the potential to shorten my
hospital stay to only ~6 hours postpartum. (As long as there are no
complications) That is a huge relief
since I was stressed about the logistics of leaving Bryce for 2 days. This clinic will see Aiden and I the
following day, and perform the blood work and hearing tests that are normally
done in hospital. They also act as a
support and referral centre for things like breastfeeding ect. http://www.monarchcentre.ca/
What’s
happening with baby this week? “At long last your little swimmer can see! For the first time ever, your wee baby’s
eyelids have finally opened (remember: they were fused shut previously) and
they’re probably having their first moments of sight as you read this. In addition to taking in their first visual
impressions of their comfy amniotic-filled studio, your little human-bean
recently acquired the ability to move their head around. That's right, if your child were clever
enough (which they're not - yet), they could engage in that most basic of
non-verbal communication - the head shake/nod.
In further developments: your little super star’s head hair is starting
to grow in! Who knows, maybe a cute
little cowlick or two is springing into position right now - the first of years
of cute-but-stubborn bed-head. Your wee piggy's toenails have recently grown in
and they're still slowly piling up fat beneath their still-loose-n-wrinkly
skin. Most importantly, their brain
tissue and neurons are all developing at a rapid pace, increasing their
(genius-level?) brain activity, which will continue to function at accelerated
levels for the first eight years of childhood!"
BTW, Aiden
should be about 1.6lbs and 14” long now.
Just about to begin my 3rd trimester.
No comments:
Post a Comment