Sunday, 29 March 2015

Week 29

Another week has come and gone….almost in the 30’s. :)

Really?!  And I still have 11 weeks to go?
The results of my gestational diabetes/blood work came back.  Fortunately I do NOT have diabetes (like I need any extra “help” to make this baby BIGGER), but I do have mild anemia.  It’s very common at this stage of the game, considering pregnancy increases your blood volume by 50%.  All that extra blood volume means an enormous amount of iron is needed to produce hemoglobin. (The component of blood that carries the oxygen).  Without adequate iron stores (or supplementation), red blood-cell production slows, along with energy boosting oxygen supply.  The result?  One tired mama-to-be.   I did begin supplementation about 3 days ago and feel a tiny bit better, although I think it’ll take a week to really notice a difference.  (The time it takes to churn out a new batch of red blood cells)

My Doctor’s appointments have increased in frequency to every 2 weeks, so I had a visit with Dr. Daisy this week.  Again, not much to discuss.  I like to think I’m a “low maintenance” patient.  ;) lol  Once again, she measured my fundal height which was right on target at 29.  My belly must shrink a little when I lay on my back, because it looks like it would surely measure bigger when I’m standing up!!  I mentioned to her about my 40” waistline and she laughed…saying (just like my Mom) that everything is stretched from last time and it’s completely normal. 

This time I paid attention to the scale and I’m up about 29lbs.  Gulp!  According to the “recommendations”,  if your pre-pregnancy weight was in the healthy range for your height, you should gain between 25 and 35 pounds. (1 to 5 pounds in the first trimester and about 1 pound per week for the rest of your pregnancy) By my calculations, I should ONLY be up 21lbs at most by now!  :s  Well let’s hope some of it is water weight!  ;)  AND who makes these recommendations anyways….probably a MAN!

What’s happening with baby this week? “Your baby now weighs about 2 3/4 pounds (about the size of an eggplant) and is a tad over 15.3 inches long from head to heel. His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and his head is growing bigger to make room for his developing brain. To meet his increasing nutritional demands, you'll need plenty of protein, vitamins C, folic acid, and iron. And because his bones are soaking up lots of calcium, be sure to drink your milk (or find another good source of calcium, such as cheese, yogurt, or enriched orange juice). This trimester, about 250 milligrams of calcium are deposited in your baby's hardening skeleton each day.  Your baby's very active now. Your healthcare provider may ask you to spend some time each day counting kicks. Some old friends — heartburn and constipation — may take center stage now. The pregnancy hormone progesterone relaxes smooth muscle tissue throughout your body, including your gastrointestinal tract. This relaxation, coupled with the crowding in your abdomen, slows digestion. Sluggish digestion can cause gas and heartburn — especially after a big meal — and contribute to constipation.”  (LOVELY!) :)








No comments:

Post a Comment